CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

So much to say using a weird French keyboard...

I apologize in advance for spelling and grammatical errors, but I cant really figure out this keyboard but I have much to discuss!

We left Barlad with a bang. We finished our shopping and then met a rollerblader on the streets named Florin. He followed us for a while, crashed into a tree, and then came and talked to us because he could tell we were Americans. In our ten minute encounter we learned the following: Florin hates Barlad, wants a Japanese girlfriend, is trying to grow his hair out like the Japanese guys so he can get a Japanese girlfriend, he thinks I am incredibly old but luckily dont look that old. He also almost walked us into a dark alley and almost walked us into the gypsy neighborhoods. Luckily we made it back to the hotel without too much sketchiness.


We ate dinner with the foundation guys, slept, and headed to the train station where the guys were there to see us off. I gave them my Michael Jackson People magazine and you would have thought it was pure gold for them. We arrived in Bucharest 4 hours later and were met by the missionaries with the mission van to take us to the hotel. We had Sister Lundberg, the mission presidents wife with us, so it wasnt as sketchy as it sounds. Those missionaries have definitely bailed me out a time or two! Our hotel was amazing. Not to knock Hotel Moldova because its served me well over the years, but this hotel was the Plaza compared to it. We unloaded our stuff and headed out to the Peasant Museum. This museum is awesome. It had art, clothing, inventions, dishes, and a bunch of other stuff that has been made by the peasants of romania. While we were eating lunch at the museum, I got bit by a mosquito on my lip. If you remember what happened to my ear, picture that on my lips. No need for lip injections for me! I took a Benadryl for the swelling to go down and then promptly fell asleep leaning against the wall of the museum.

We had dinner at the mission home with the Lundbergs and I cant even begin to tell you how much I loved having actual home cooked food. It was incredible.

The next day we went to church in Bucharest and had missionaries translate for us. And by translate I mean they translated while I slept. We had an English Sunday school with the guy who runs the CES program over there and then went to relief society. After church we went to a baptism of a new member in the ward and then left for the hotel. We boarded a train and headed to the town of Brasov, which is like the Park City of romania. It was absolutely beautiful. Our hotel was kinda weird but we had excellent views of the city. It was raining like mad but the hotel let us borrow some umbrellas to take out on the town. I had only packed flip flops and the rain was turning my shoes into ice skates, so I was thaankful that the Nike store stayed open late so I could stop skating around the main street! We ate dinner in this absolutely amazing restaurant called Bella Musica which was this underground cave thing. What madi it even better? Mexican food. Nothing says romania like a sizzlin fajita.

The next morning we awoke to more rain and more things to see. We saw the black church, whivh is a cool color of black thanks to a fire in like the 1600s, and did some more shopping. We took awesome pictures of us jumping off the fountain but apparently they dont take pictures like that often because we became quite the spectacle for those romanians in the town! It was incredible and we were sad to see it go but we boarded yet another train back to Buch.

Back in Buch we did some more shopping in this super super sketchy market place and then made the best decision of the trip. Hard Rock Cafe! Everyone spoke English, the menu was in English, I had actual ice in my drink and the meal took less than an hour and a half. Absolutely unheard of in Romania. Not to mention they had MJs red jacket from Thriller on the wall. Our taxi driver almost killed us multiple times on the way home and insisted he take us out to find Romanian boyfriends before we left because we all have very rich parents back in the states. Yea.

I am getting very sick of typing on this and I have a hot date with the Louvre in about 12 minutes so I will catch you up on Paris later. I love you all!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I hope your lips look a little bit like Angelina Jolie! It sounds like you are having a good time! I heart Romania! Why do taxi drivers drive so insanely over there? I thought I was going to die the one and only time we rode in one.

Beth said...

I want to see a picture of those lips! I can attest to almost dying in foreign taxi's. Russia's were pretty sketchy. Amazingly enough by the end I felt safer in those...like they had been doing it for so long that perhaps...just perhaps they might actually know a secret about driving in those crazy conditions. Can't wait to see all the fun photos from all the wonderful places you've seen!