CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oh, Grandpa...

So my 92 year old Grandpa Jackson has been spending the weekend with us. He can't really stay home by himself, so he stays with my aunt during the week and the rest of us kind of pass him around on the weekends. So he got here Friday and will leave in a few hours.

Now, I love my Grandpa. He was an architect for the LDS church and has traveled all over the world building church buildings and has written a book and is EXTREMELY intelligent. However he is 92 years old and is starting to lose it just a little bit. Here was our dinner conversation tonight:

My Dad: So, Amanda, are you excited to travel this summer? (And then explains to Grandpa the Romania trips.)

Me: Yea, it will be fun! I just wish I new more of the language.

Grandpa: I can count to 10 in 10 different languages! (And then proves it.)

Me: Very impressive, Grandpa!

Grandpa: Yea, when they called me to go to Holland.... (tells story)

Me: Wow. What an experience. Hey, dad, nice job on the pork!

Dad: Thanks! I did somethi.....

Grandpa: I can count to 10 in 10 languages! Finnish is the hardest (again, counts to 10.)

Dad: That's great!

Grandpa: Well, it became helpful when they called me to Holland.... (same story)

Mom: Do you think you'll try to pick up some more Romanian before you go?

Grandpa: All you need to know is how to count to 10! I can count to 10 in 10 languages! (Proves it.)

Me: Cool! I can count to 10 in Romanian, do you want to learn?

Grandpa: No! I can count to 10 in 10 languages already and I promise that it's not harder than Finnish... See? (Proves it.)

This was all in about the first 20 minutes of dinner. Then my dad started making fun of the Finnish 1-10 (one of the numbers is the word Feces. I'm not kidding.) And my Grandpa counted about 17 more times. He cracks me up. He also told the Holland story about 17 more times. (He was called on an architectural mission there and moved the entire family for like 3 years.) He really has done a lot with his life, but I swear all he does is count to 10 now.

He also has about zero tact now. When you ask him how he's doing he says "Everyone I can!" which cracks us all up. Also, Saturday morning I went to talk to him right after I woke up and he said "Wow, you're sure a lot prettier when you're all dolled up for a night out!" Thanks, Gramps. Granted, that is true, but still. Do you have to say it like that?

But hey, did you guys know I can count to 10 in 3 languages?? I'm on my way!


(P.S.- as soon as my camera charges, there will be Gout Party pictures! So check back soon!)

3 comments:

Erika said...

Awesome...I love grandparents! THat sounds like an awesome conversation.

Greg D said...

This post almost made me pee. Congrats.

Meredith said...

This post cracked me up!