CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

So this morning I'm standing in the hallway talking to Mr. B and Ms. Post when one of my students (who is an absolute space cadet) says she has a gift for me. She hands me....

A stick.

Yes, that was her gift. A stick. So we get a good laugh about it because this girl's crazy anyways (she's the SexMaker one) and teachers are used to getting weird stuff from their students. She's friends with a group of girls who has found some tree by the playground that has some sort of fuzzy bark, which leads to lots of comments on fuzzy sticks. (Which I giggle at like a 12 year old.)

So the stick thing was funny.

After last recess, one of my other spacey girls hands me a gift from recess.

A stick.

What is with these girls? I have gotten more flora and fauna and foliage from these kids than I think any other teacher in the world! (As soon as I figure out how to get pictures off my cell phone I'll post a picture of the owl-head-planter I got for Christmas. It's phenomenal.)

So this story is NOT that funny, but the only thing we could attribute these gifts to Earth Day. And I sadly got to thinking it's a little bit of a worthless holiday. My class celebrated it by mindlessly shredding paper to make a "tear- art" sombrero to decorate the Taste of Kearns festival (no, I'm not kidding) and apparently ripping Fuzzy Sticks off trees to give to Miss J as a gift.

Happy Earth Day everybody! Do something this week that was a LITTLE more worthwhile than what Room 8 did today.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Hilarious! Don't you love when kids give you weird crap and you have to display it for awhile OR take it home to throw it away!

Gotta love the life of a school teacher! Fuzzy stick...ha!

Ashley said...

Fuzzy stick :) Too funny Amanda! That owl head planter is a must for next years white elephant at our annual Christmas party! That is if you are not to attached to it.

Unknown said...

Amanda,
I miss getting sticks!! Okay, well, my students usually just pulled up people's flowers on the way to school and gave me those. But in any case, I miss teaching so I'll have to live through your great stories. Thanks for leaving your address on forkboy, it's fun to keep in touch!
Monica =)

Jeff said...

Hey fellow third grade teacher! Third grade teachers rock! haha. i liked reading your blog you are too funny.