CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Church it up!

Hello! I hope youre all enjoying this. I have failed to recieve ANY emails from hardly any of you and if I were as bitter as I was last year I would skip writing today, but as I am another year older and wiser, I will continue.

Yesterday we slept in (are you shocked??) and then went to Rome a little later in the day. We started at the Basilica di San Clemente, which is a church built on top of a temple of some sort built on top of a Roman coin mint built on top of a Pagan church. So every level you go down it changes to fit whatever purpose it was used for at the time. It was so cool. The tour guide was saying that they havent excavated everything so they really have very little idea the actual size of whatever is underground. Some of the frescoes and work dates back to like the years Christ was alive and it was just really cool to be down there and see everything. It was probably one of the cooler things weve seen so far.

After that we walked around for a while and saw a few other buildings that are old and cool and then walked down to kinda the main square and took the Night Bus around Rome. We were on the top of a double decker and it shuttled us around the city so we could see everything lit up. It was awesome! They had a place to plug in earphones and was spewing out the most random facts about the city while we were driving and looking at the sights. This city is so incredible. The colluseum looked amazing.

(Im running out of internet time so Im hurrying!)

Today we went to the LDS church that is close to the Vatican. Cool to see that its the same (and true:)) everywhere you go. After that we went over to St. Peters Basilica and walked around that and caught the noon session of mass. Hearing people sing and organs playing in that huge and gorgeous building is just beyond words. It was an incredible experience to be there even if I couldnt understand it! We also got to go down and see the tombs of the Popes. Now THAT was awesome. They still had people crying and seeing the tomb of the last Pope and writing prayers and stuff and leaving them there. The Basilica is amazing and seeing the Pieta in real life was incredible.

Internets kicking me off. Love you all!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Sounds amazing. I'm super jealous. I haven't emailed, but at least I comment. You only will get one out of me....sorry! :) Glad you're having fun.

Here And Happy! said...

At the Paris Louve Blake and I got so overwhelmed by all the famous art we were taking in at once that,after ending our day with Mona Lisa, we coined the phrase "Louved out". This meant that we just couldn't give justice to SO much beauty in one place. Each artifact in its own right was worth WOW! And we'd seen hundreds. Hope you're not Louved out yet, but I understand your reaction to Italy and all its treasures.